1/31/2011

The anomaly of accents and dialects continued. . .

A famous English dialect has to be cockney rhyming slang, which can confuse the best of us even if we are English. There are several website that are dedicated to the translation of English into cockney rhyming slang. If you are not familiar with it then you might wonder whether it was actually that different, the answer is yes! Below are some phrases that are in cockney rhyming slang and I challenge you to translate them into understandable English.

1. 'Allo me old china - wot say we pop round the Jack. I'll stand you a pig and you can rabbit on about your teapots. We can 'ave some loop and tommy and be off before the dickory hits twelve.

2. "Got to my mickey, found me way up the apples, put on me whistle and the bloody dog went. It was me trouble telling me to fetch the teapots."

3. I Scapa Fla ter university only carpet days a Bubble And Squeak, so I 'ave ter Kathy Burke ter keep myself busy

In general people never actually apply this much cockney rhyming slang to one phrase, mostly people will say a perfectly normal sentence and then throw in apples instead of staying stairs. Most of the time one doesn’t really notice if one is English. However, if you do not have English as your native language then you will probably need someone to translate and/or mime. Failing this just nod and agree.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment