1/24/2011

Translations done badly continued . . .

I once did a translation using solely a French monolingual dictionary just to experiment of course, not because the internet refused to work and the only options were French monolingual or English monolingual. I had also not spent a really long time desperately trying to get the internet working again and attempting to yell at the inanimate computer in front of me before dissolving into tears. I started well, just because I had no need for the dictionary yet, and got the first couple of sentences done. It carried on very much the same until I hit a block. There was one word that I didn’t know how to translate. I took a breath and started to look in the dictionary, turning the pages carefully so there was no chance that I would miss it. I couldn’t see the word so I carried on but I soon realised that I had moved into a new letter. The word would definitely not be here, what to do? I went back and even more carefully than before I went through the dictionary but again to no avail. I panicked; this word was not in the dictionary, what was I going to do? I decided to phone a friend, I had that or ask the audience left, and asked them whether they could look up this word. They tried but they could not find a translation either however they promised to keep trying. This is when my phone decided it would be an appropriate time to switch off and not turn back on again. It was at this point that I threw a hissy fit; really I just sat down on my bed feeling rather blue. I looked at the word again, while the world I knew was crumbling around my feet and it was only at this point that I realised that there was a typo and that I actually knew exactly how to translate it.

To be continued . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment